Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Wasted days and wasted nights

Growing up we listened to country music whenever we were in the car. One of the songs I remember was called Wasted Days and Wasted Nights, and as I think about today, this line runs through my head.

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm supposed to apply for my carte de sejour (residency card) within 10 days of my arrival. As of this morning, I have three days left. Now I'm down to two since today was relatively fruitless. I woke up and went to the Prefecture to which I was told to go. Waited in a little line in relatively comfortable weather (cold but not freezing like it has been). Got in and spoke with a very nice woman who asked a couple of questions then told me to go to a different prefecture--the one for my arrondissement (neighborhood). So...back on the metro and to THAT prefecture where I waited for at least two and a half hours in a line that NEVER moved. These waits are well known, and even though I kept thinking, "how on earth are they going to move at this pace and wait on everyone before 4:30?" I kept waiting...because everyone else was waiting--even patiently waiting. My rule, you see, is this: when in doubt, watch the locals. However, since all of these people were probably there for the same reason I was, they're not actual locals--they're foreigners like me.

Nonetheless, I waited. And waited. For no less than two and a half hours. Then all of a sudden a woman came out & said something in French which elicited sighs and groans from the crowd. I turned to someone that I thought might speak English, and he explained that she had informed everyone that the computer was down & that no one would be helped today. But, he said, "I don't believe them." He had asked her "since when" as in "how long have you known this and let us stand out here?" and she said about thirty minutes. Which he also did not believe. He told me that they do everything they can to discourage people from waiting in line, and he said that he was going to wait. He was a lawyer waiting on behalf of a client who was wandering around taking pictures. We waited for another five minutes, and all of a sudden, they let a bunch of us in. Finally! In the rush to get in, three women jumped in line in front of us, and I wanted to slap them. They had JUST gotten there, and we had been waiting for so long! Not that it mattered. When we got in they said even more firmly that they wouldn't be helping anyone today. At that point my lawyer friend decided to leave, and I figured if he was leaving, I might as well leave.

I did get one bit of helpful information during those otherwise wasted hours. I asked the lawyer about a translator, and he directed me to the American Embassy for a list of approved translators. Why'd a French lawyer have to suggest the American Embassy to me? Never occured to me, I'm ashamed to say. Anyway, I left the madness & treated myself to a pain au chocolat and cafe creme. (I think we can all agree that I deserved it.) Plus, I needed to get inside somewhere to thaw out as it had become considerably colder, and hours of standing in the cold had numbed my toes and fingers.

After the thawing, I managed to get a French cell phone (which I barely know how to use), so the day wasn't totally wasted. And if I sleep well tonight, the night won't be either. As for tomorrow, well, wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I need to send you my "Smart Wool" socks. OK - maybe you should just buy you a new pair but either way I so wish I even remembered it's cold there - all these winter clothes sitting here going to be tossed out....I'm a knuckle head!

    ReplyDelete