Friday, January 16, 2009

Seriously

So today I tried, yet again, to apply for my carte de sejour. I got the sardine treatment getting onto the 13, and took that line for seven or eight stops. I transferred to the 10 and walked three or four blocks to the Prefecture only to find a big note on the door: "Not taking any first time CDS applicants today." No reason, just not doin' it. Well, alrighty then. So, I decided to go shopping on the Champs Elysees instead.

It's sales season here--the stores are allowed to have "soldes" twice a year, and right now they're on. Of course, soldes on the Champs Elysees aren't like other places. I found a gorgeous purse for about $200 (on sale) that I passed up. It was beautiful, but I knew I'd regret it, so I opted instead for a gorgeous loaf of bread and some lotion for my dry, dry skin--and at a fraction of the cost!

You know what else costs ridiculously more on the Champs? The toilettes. I'm used to pay toilets, but I walked up to the counter and was asked for 1 euro, 50 eurocent. Seriously? That's, what, $2'ish US! To pee! No thank you. I HAVE seen the time that I would have paid $2 for a toilette, but not today. I was only four or five metro stops from home, and while I would have paid 30 eurocent, I was not about to pay 1.5E. Crazy talk.

Anyway, crazy Champs Elysees toilette's aside, it is beautiful. The restaurants are, for the most part, overpriced. But there is a Laduree there. And oh how I love a caramel du sel macaron. I skipped it today because the line was also ridiculous, but I'm sure I'll treat myself again soon. I'm not afraid to treat myself, as you well know.

Oh, and success on the cat tower front. Potter actually climbed to the second and third levels on his own today and spent some time enjoying the view. Gracie likes to sleep in the first level, but one of these days I just know she's going to climb higher.

Tomorrow is Saturday, and although this sounds ridiculous, I'm glad of it. I've spent every day doing stuff for the carte de sejour, and since they're closed until Monday, I feel like I have the weekend off. Don't know what I'll do, but I'm in Paris...there are lots of options!

1 comment:

  1. I'm having spacing problem, in case you didn't notice. I put the spaces between the paragraphs, but they don't stick. Can't figure out why...

    ReplyDelete