Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Glee induced nausea

Ok, I know one of my three blog followers is going to disagree with me on this, but I'm invoking blog-ownership freedom of speech here and just saying it: I am OVER Obama and Obamamania. All of the glee, all of the "thank GODs," all of the "here comes the sun!" What the hell are people thinking? This man is an empty suit. There. I've said it. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, but I'm on record right now as saying, I don't buy it. He smiles well, he speaks well, and he raises campaign money well. And he voted "present" a hundred or so times. That means, "I want to be counted as here, but I don't want to take a stand." Yeah, that's the kind of leader we need. Lord, help us. Ok, stepping off of the soapbox now.


So back on this side of the pond, there are other things happening. Or not happening, as it happens. Like my carte de sejour which my friend Amanda calls "the card that keeps you from getting deported." Yeah...about that. Went to the prefecture this morning for the fourth or fifth time (losing count is a bad sign). Anyway, the nastiest little man "helped" me up to the point where he learned that I didn't have my original pre-inscription letter from La Sorbonne. I explained that the FRENCH embassy kept it when I applied for my Visa. The way I look at it, the French have it; it's up to them to fight over possession. Unfortunately they don't see it that way. Soooo, I went to La Sorbonne and asked a very nice lady for an original. She explained to me that she would give it to me but that it would not suffice. "But it's what he asked for," I sorta whined. She said that he would not want the pre-inscription letter; he'd want the inscription letter which I couldn't get until Thursday because that was the first day of registration. She promised me that he'd turn me away again and suggested that I just wait until Friday when I will have the inscription letter and student ID. All of THAT, she said, would appease the nasty little man.


So. Once again, I must wait for more paperwork, copy it, and go back for more fun at the prefecture. You should know, my friends, that once I FINALLY get everything together at the right place at the right time, I will only then get what amounts to a receipt and an appointment to come back yet again to take the next step in applying for the carte de sejour. There is much involved. Like I said, they don't make it easy.


Afterward, I walked around & went by the Pantheon, which is behind La Sorbonne & took a picture of it and the row of Christmas trees still standing in front of it. It's a beautiful part of the city.






Oh, and I woke up at 5am with Potter throwing up...in my shoes. The clogs were easy to clean; the boots were less so. He hasn't thrown up all afternoon or night though, so I hope he's over it. I told him that we were going to go see the cute vet if he kept it up. Trust me, cute as the vet was, it's not a trip I want to make.


So every day isn't macarons, champagne, and delicious fromage, but hey...that's life. And Paris sure makes a lovely backdrop.

2 comments:

  1. I think Potter is sick of Obama too - not so sure the cute vet can remedy that.

    Love the blog to know what's going on with you in gay Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be proved wrong. And I will gloat. And that's all we're gonna say about that!

    xoxo,

    your CHICAGO friend :)

    ReplyDelete