Saturday, March 7, 2009

Found things

This week I found a restaurant that you must try when you're in Paris. If you're coming to see me, we will definitely make a reservation for A La Biche Au Bois at 45, Av Ledru Rollin, tel: 01 43 43 34 38, (M: Gare de Lyon). The food is delicious, and the staff is delightful! They have a fabulous 4 course prix fixe menu that includes a cheese course to knock your socks off. I started with a delicious salade nicoise that would have been enough for me, but I moved on to one of their beautiful steaks which was good but not as good as the rich, mushroomy, winey coq au vin my friend Peter ordered. YUM! The aforementioned cheese course followed, and we ended the meal with a round of heavenly desserts. I had read about the Ile Flottant (floating island), so that's what I chose. It was a perfect meringue, topped with a light but divine sauce (caramel sauce?) and set afloat in a sea of creme anglaise. It was so delicious but so light that as full as I was, I managed to polish off at least half of it. Like I said, this restaurant should definitely go on your to-do list. My friend Quynh took this picture of the awesome cheese plate.



Earlier in the week I had dinner at Chez Michel. The food was good and the staff was nice. Their cheese course was much smaller than the one at A La Biche, but it included this salted butter that we all fell head over heels in love with--so much so that we left with four containers of it. It's the Yves Bordier butter that I had read about, and it did not disappoint. Needless to say, all week long I've started my days with toasted baguette, divine butter, and apricot jam. Except for the risk of heart disease, what's not to love about THAT breakfast? I also had a dessert of pears and sorbet that was quite tasty.

On another topic, I found this little gem on my new favorite blog, http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/.


"I must learn to love the fool in me--the one who feels too much, talks too much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hurt, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled, masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my fool." -- Theodore I. Rubin, MD

I think I already love the fool in me plenty, but I liked this nonetheless. And if you are looking for a delightful blog to add to your list, check out the link. It's really for the girls, so fellas you'll have to wait until I run across a more appropriately masculine blog for you.
And one more thing I found this week...just how easy it is to skip those Friday afternoon conferences. So very easy indeed.

2 comments:

  1. "A La Biche." Haha, that's a nickname just waiting to be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...It means doe or something like that...the entire name (A la Biche au Bois) means something like the doe in the woods. I'm sure you were hoping it was something kind and soft like doe, weren't you?

    ReplyDelete