Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Graffiti Tour of Paris

Sometimes I feel like I'm on "the graffiti tour of Paris." It's everywhere, but the thing is, some of it is so good! Take, for instance, Jerome Mesnager. You already know how much I appreciate his art--well, on the way to class this week I ran across another graffiti artist whose work is worth sharing. His name is Jef Aerosol, and I found this painting behind the building where my classes are held. If you can see the picture, you'll recognize the folks in it. In case you can't, I'll tell you. Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, and Marilyn Monroe...and some ants. I have no idea about the ants, but the painting was just too cool not to share.

So after a little street art, I went to my first class on Tuesday, and YAY, I really like my teacher. I am in just the right class for me, and the professeur is great. Being an education professional, it's difficult not to critique your teachers, but no problem--mine rocks. On Tuesday, the first day of class, these two girls were just chatting away, oblivious to the rest of us, totally unconcerned. I, (dork that I am) sitting in my front row seat, was annoyed by them and was thinking, "if this were MY class, I'd call them out." Not two seconds later Madame Henaut asked them if there was a question then told them to pay attention. What can I say, she's good.

Madame Henaut told us that we needed to buy two books, so I left class & headed to the bookstore. As I approached the Blvd. St. Michel, I noticed the drumming of drums & blaring of bull horns...a student protest was underway, and I was about to get caught right in the middle of it. Let me just say that every student enrolled in every university in Paris must have participated because there were mobs and gobs of people for blocks and blocks and blocks! I don't know what they were protesting, but they were a pain to get through. The police (gendarmerie) were all over the place, and I got a couple of pics that show both police and students. You won't get the full effect, but take my word for it. There were tons of 'em.

I eventually made it to the bookstore and later home and back to class on Wednesday. After class I shot home for a much needed grocery store run and a bite to eat then headed back out to meet some friends for a photography exhibit at Maison Europeenne de la Photographie. The first artist's work was not to my liking (or to the liking of any of my friends), but there were others whose work was great. If you're interested, google Minot-Gormezano and Giorgia Fiorio and see what you think. Those two were my favorites. (They're two separate artists, so google them separately.)

Afterward, my friend Allen and I decided to go to the international meetup where we met just last week. We met this group of Germans who were funny and so sweet. One works in marketing for Dole (yes, as in pineapple), and I told him I needed a job. He gave me his business card but said with the economy (and my current lack of a work permit), he couldn't say... Of course, I hope to get a work permit eventually, so who knows...it's all about connections though, and I'm making those.

It's great to meet so many people from all over the world. The Australians are so laid back and friendly. The Germans were so fun and sweet. The folks from India seem so gentle and kind. The Italians are heaven to listen to, and the Brits are a little zany. The Americans, well, you know about Americans. And the French, well, they're great one-on-one. We decided last night, us expats, that in groups, the French tend to be closed off and exclusive, but one-on-one they're really friendly, funny, and overall great. It's their country though, so in the US, Americans may very well seem closed off and exclusive to non-Americans. It makes sense, no?

Anyway, no matter where we're from, we all have at least one thing in common--we all want to stay here. One way or another, we've all got to figure it out. And with our love of Paris and the approaching Valentine's day holiday in mind, I have a lovely picture of a boulangerie window to share with you...à tout à l'heure!

No comments:

Post a Comment