Friday, November 20, 2009

Where have I BEEN?

Where indeed? Oh, you know...life happens. School started, and my days started becoming less about exploring Paris and more about going to school, eating (ok, still eating fabulous things in Paris), doing homework, looking for a job, oh yeah--doing a little dating (sometimes a LOT of dating), and there was less that 1) seemed like it would be interesting enough to share and 2) that I was willing to share (see dating reference above).

But now I feel the urge to update. So...what have I been doing? Well, the first swing through La Sorbonne was quite good. Loved my professeur--she was fantastic. My friend Quynh and I met for many lunchs and dinners and wanderings through this fair city. Then in July Quynh went back to Seattle. Tears. Hugs. And technology, so luckily we still email frequently and skype occasionally.

Dated a guy for a couple of months then realized it wasn't going anywhere, but luckily we liked each other enough as people to remain friends. He is one of my best friends (maybe my best) here. I am so very thankful for him. So then I started dating a close friend of his who is adorable but not terribly available, so nothing serious there...yet. Hoping for improvement in that situation, but in the meantime, I'm also seeing other people and have met some nice guys. No chemistry with any of them so far, but nice people to know. And it seems they're mostly open to being friends when things don't work out in the romance department, so that's good too.

School has been a bit of a disappointment lately. I took an intensive course in August, and the professeur was awful. Taking another course now, and while the professeur is better, she's not even close to being as good as the first one. I am spoiled, I know. But my French is improving, and I even find myself able to have entire conversations in French. Even on the phone! I called my cell phone company today to ask about using my phone while I'm in the US for Christmas (that's right...I'm coming your way!), and I had the entire conversation with the rep in French. Even more impressive, I understood her, and she understood me! No easy feat, my friends. Especially over the phone. So I'm learning something at La Sorbonne.

Work...I got a job! Ok, it's a part-time job, but it pays decently, and it's in my field. I'm teaching at a business school here two mornings a week. I teach business communications to 3rd year university students and conflict management, negotiations, and leadership communication to 4th year (MBA 1 they call it) students. Am hoping to get more hours starting in January. Have to work more...have to earn more money. Or win the lottery, and since I have no idea how to play the French lottery, I'm thinking marry rich or earn more money working. (I vote for the 1st, but it is rather out of my hands as I am a "love" girl and could never marry for money. Although if I fell in love with a rich man...)

France won qualification to the world cup or some such thing one night this week...football (soccer in the US) and I think they partied ALL night long. I heard horns blowing, yelling, hollering, and all sorts of partying until the wee hours. The Irish (opponents) aren't in agreement with the win, and they've asked to play the game again...in Paris. I say, "no please, if you play it again, please do it in Ireland...or further away if possible. At least have the kindness to put an ocean or at least a channel between us." Doubt seriously that France is going to take them up on it.

And for all of you who like Bart Simpson's reference to the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys," I have a funny. My students, most of whom are French, speak English relatively well, but often there will be a few words that they do not know in a text that I've given them to read. This week two French students asked me the meaning of the word "surrender." I did not crack a smile.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't you marry for love... of money? Think about it. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, that first comment was from me: Greg P. For some reason my Google profile wasn't getting the job done, so I thought I'd go anonymous. And prior to reading this I'm sure it made the comment a little more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha...you are so funny, Greg P! If could marry for love of money, I'd be hitched and living who knows where. I can't even stand to kiss someone I'm not into! Probably a fatal flaw. Sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, even people who like the French laugh at the surrender jokes.

      Delete